Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) was first celebrated in its current form as a full month in April 2001. It stems from efforts beginning in the late 1970’s in the form of “Take Back the Night” events. In the late 1980’s, the National Coalition Against Sexual Assault designated a week in April for sexual assault awareness and then an entire month was chosen in the late 90’s.
SAAM raises awareness around the pervasiveness of sexual assault in our culture and throughout the world. Advocates throughout our country work to provide educational opportunities within their communities to prevent sexual assault and support survivors.
This year, PAVE is focusing on developing bystander awareness and intervention. Our slogan, “Stand Up & Speak Out” focuses on asking bystanders to say something when they believe they are witnessing a situation that may lead to a sexual assault. We are also encouraging bystanders to speak out to end rape culture. Don’t accept toxic masculinity, lobby for equality, and speak your truth.
Check out the events that are happening throughout the county during the month of April!
- April 2 is #TealTuesday! Wear teal to support sexual assault victims and survivors and promote awareness. Take pictures of your group and share it on your favorite social media with #tealtuesday #pavebennington #standup&speakout. Looking to get some ribbons? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org today!
- April 8 @ 7pm- Candlelight Vigil held at Four Corners Main & South in Bennington
- April 18 – Free screening of I AM EVIDENCE at the Laumeister Art Center. Hosted by Southern Vermont College in partnership with PAVE and The Bennington County Child Advocacy Center.
- Throughout the month, The Clothesline Project and Silhouettes will be traveling throughout Bennington County. See a complete listing of showings here.
- A miniature version of this moving display will be permanently stationed at The Cone Building, 139 Main St., Bennington during the month.
- Coffee sleeves with our campaign will be handed out at Southern Vermont College and The Roasted Bean Espresso Bar at 366 North Street, Bennington. Pick yours up starting April 1.
Interested in how you can get involved? Call PAVE’s office at (802) 442-2370 or email email@example.com.