Caring Dads of Bennington County: Helping Fathers Value Their Children
Caring Dads of Bennington County is a collaborative multi-agency program which PAVE strongly supports. This group offers a unique opportunity for men to connect as fathers. Participants can sign up to attend 17 sessions, or they may be court-ordered to do so. For more information, contact Nora Parsons at 802-447-4811. Download Caring Dads brochure.
Through 17 sessions, fathers will:
- Develop skills to cope in healthy ways with frustrating situations;
- Understand how different fathering strategies and choices affect children;
- Increase their awareness of controlling, abusive, and neglectful attitudes and behaviors;
- Be provided with strategies to strengthen the father-child relationship.
Is Caring Dads Right For You?
- Do you sometimes worry about how angry you feel about your child?
- Do you sometimes have a hard time letting go angry thoughts about your children or your children’s mother?
- Do you often feel like your children are intentionally trying to annoy you?
- Do you ever feel like you interrogate your children about what goes on at their mother’s house?
- Do you ever criticize your children’s mother in front of your children?
Facts About Fathering
Fathers can and want to be a positive influence in the lives of their children. Positively involved fathers enhance their children’s academic, personal and social development.
Unfortunately, fathers can also have a negative impact on their children. This occurs when fathers:
- Do not understand the feelings and needs of their children;
- Harshly discipline their children;
- Argue frequently with their children’s mothers;
- Use abusive and controlling behavior.
Eligibility to join Caring Dads
Eligibility is determined during a required screening interview. Referrals are accepted from other organizations. The Caring Dads runs once a week for 17 weeks, combining active group discussions, exercises and homework.
Funding for Caring Dads is provided by:
- The Department of Corrections
- The Department of Children and Families
- The Sunrise Family Resource Center
- Community Organizations
- Private Donations